Body Positivity Starts With YOU
— originally published on Aspen Strong
So much of our time is spent taking in messages from the world around us. Whether we realize it or not, this constant bombardment can have a devastating impact on our mental health. “Do this”, “Eat that”, “Tone up”, “Slim down” – on and on it goes. The danger comes when we begin to internalize these very external opinions about how we need to look, and in turn, how we should then feel. We have become numb to the messages that matter most. The ones that come unbiasedly from within.
So how can we begin to retrain and strengthen our inner self-advocate? At EDCare, we believe body positivity starts with one very important person, YOU! We know this isn’t always an easy connection to rekindle. To help you establish a happier and healthier way of looking at yourself and your body here is a list of things you can do to help boost your body positivity.
10 Things to Help you Feel at Peace with Your Body:
1. Appreciate all of the amazing things your body can do – your body is a gift. Celebrate all of the incredible things your body does for you every single day. Have gratitude that your body allows you to breathe, laugh, dream, and so much more.
2. Keep a list of at least 5 things you like about yourself that have nothing to do with the way you look. Read your list every day, and add to it as you realize more and more qualities you love about yourself.
3. Remind yourself “true beauty” is not simply skin deep. When you love yourself for your unique and beautiful qualities, you carry yourself with a sense of openness, self-acceptance, and confidence that makes you truly beautiful. Regardless of how you are dressed, your beauty will shine from within.
4. Look at yourself as a whole person. When you see yourself in your mind or in a mirror, choose not to focus on specific body parts. You are so much more than certain physical characteristics. See yourself as a complete human being.
5. Surround yourself with positive people. Feeling good about yourself and your body becomes effortless when you are around others who are supportive and who understand the importance of loving and accepting yourself just as you naturally are.
6. Eliminate any voices in your head that tell you your body is not “right” or you are a “bad” person. Work to overpower those negative thoughts with positive ones. The next time you begin to tear yourself down, build yourself back up with a few, quick affirmations such as: “I accept my body as it is,” “I am beautiful just as I am,” or “I am grateful for all the parts of my body.”
7. Wear clothes that are comfortable and that make you feel good about your body. Every single human being’s body is different and should be celebrated because it’s special and unique to you. How boring would the world be if everyone looked the same??? Own your beautiful uniqueness.
8. Become a critical viewer of social media messages. Pay attention to slogans, images, or attitudes that make you feel bad about yourself or your body. Remind yourself that many of them are not real. Unfollow social media accounts that make you feel bad about yourself and find body-positive ambassadors instead!
9. Do something kind for yourself—you deserve it. Self-care is such a vital part of connecting with yourself – mind and body. Take a bubble bath, relax in the park, make time for a peaceful nap, do what makes you happy.
10. Use the time and energy that you might have spent worrying about food, calories, and your weight to do something to help others. Find your place by helping others for a cause you feel passionate about. Reaching out will help you feel better about yourself and can make a positive impact in our world.
If you or a loved one think you may have an eating disorder, know that you are not alone and help is available. EDCare has 4 outstanding treatment centers in Denver, Colorado Springs, Kansas City, and Lincoln ready to help you achieve lasting recovery. For more information or to schedule a free, confidential assessment call us at 866-771-0861 or fill out an online form.